Vegan Butternut Squash Pasta with Fried Sage

I am definitely your number one pasta fan, along with all the unhealthy sauces, fats and cheeses that go along with pasta dishes. When I bought my first butternut squash, I was like "what the hell do I do with this thing?" That's where this recipe comes in. Satisfies my pasta craving (hello, whole wheat pasta) and my cream craving (this sauce is amazing). AND, I really truly think I like butternut squash MORE than sweet potatoes..and I fucking lovvvvvve sweet potatoes! Yum, here's the recipe and what you'll need!

serving size: You could probably stretch this sauce using a whole box of pasta, I did a half box so mine was extra saucy/creamy. all depends on your preference!

What you need:
  • I used 8 ish ounces of whole wheat pasta (could also sub in GF pasta, like Banza or something from Explore Cuisine!)
  • 1 small to medium sized butternut squash, gutted and cubed
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2 cups veggie broth (I've also made with chicken, but then it's not vegan..duh)
  • crushed red pepper, as much or as little as you like
  • salt
  • pepper
  • Parmesan cheese for topping


What you need to do:
  1. Heat a skillet with your olive oil in it over medium/high heat
  2. Add your fresh sage and cook 5 minutes or until your sage is crispy
  3. Scoop out sage and set aside
  4. Add your butternut squash, onion and crushed red pepper to the already hot oil
  5. Cook about 8 minutes, then add your crushed garlic, being careful not to burn
  6. Cook garlic until fragrant, maybe an additional minute
  7. Add your broth to the skillet, bring to a simmer than lower your heat slightly
  8. Let simmer for 25 minutes
  9. Make your pasta at this time according to package directions, reserving half a cup of pasta water
  10. Once your squash is mushy, remove mixture, add to a blender and blend on low 
  11. Pour mixture over pasta, add reserved pasta water to thin sauce out 
  12. Top with fried sage, some cheese, salt and pepper!
  13. Yum, eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lemon Chia Collagen Overnight Oats

I love all things lemon flavored but hate water with a lemon? Weird, right? Anyways, these are delicious, a perfect summer-y overnight oat r...