Vegan Bang Bang Tofu Bowl

I love Bang Bang shrimp and this version is made a smidge healthier using tofu, vegan mayo, and I mix my panko with whole wheat breadcrumbs for the coating! These bowls are super versatile, as in you can literally customize this with anything! I am a bit low on quinoa at the moment, so I opted for farro and then I added some veggies I had on hand. Keep in mind, if you aren't vegan or veg, or just don't like the taste/texture of tofu, this breading will work with chicken also. (and shrimp, duh) I am definitely an "add a pinch of this and a splash of that kinda gal" so I'm gonna try real hard with these measurements here! Anyway, here I present to you my healthy, Vegan Bang Bang tofu bowl recipe!



What you'll need:

For the tofu:
  • 1 package firm or extra firm tofu (cubed)
  • 1/4 cup vegan mayo (I like the brand Just)
  • 2 tablespoons Sriracha (more/less depending on preference) 
  • 1 teaspoon seasoned rice vinegar
  • 1/2 cup or more flour (I used whole wheat from King Arthur)
  • 1/2 cup or more Panko bread crumbs 
  • 1/2 cup* or more whole wheat breadcrumbs (I grabbed mine from Whole Foods) *optional
  • Water (add bit by bit til you get a batter consistency)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder

For the rest of the bowl:
  • 1/2 cup uncooked and rinsed grains (I used farro, quinoa would be awesome here too!)
  • 1 ish cup of veggies (I used up my carrots and kale and some edamame, this is where this recipe is fun because you can use ANYTHING and customize it to your liking)
  • 1-2 teaspoons soy Sauce or tamari (I used Bragg's Liquid Amino's cause it's delicious and better for you)
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • more sriracha!

What you need to do:
  1. Press out liquid from tofu. This is important! I place multiple paper towels on the tofu then set my heavy marble cutting board on top for at least 30 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 450℉.
  3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  4. Cut your tofu into cubes.
  5. Mix your flour, spices and water until you get a batter like consistency. 
  6. Toss tofu in batter, than transfer to your panko/breadcrumb mixture
  7. Roll tofu cubes in mixture.
  8. Place tofu cubes on baking sheet, evenly spread out. I had to use two sheets.
  9. Place in oven for 40 ish minutes, it's a good idea to flip them halfway through, so they brown and crisp up evenly.
  10. Make your bang bang sauce! In a medium bowl combine, sriracha, rice vinegar, and vegan mayo, whisking well.
  11. While the tofu is cooking, make your grains, following package directions.
  12. When the tofu is done, add tofu to sauce mixture and toss to coat evenly.
  13. Add your sesame oil to a small frying pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in your veggies, soy sauce (or alternative) and sriracha. Could also add in a little honey!
  14. Cook until veggies are tender.
  15. Assemble that bowl!
  16. Top with more sriracha, sesame seeds, chopped spring onion, whatever!
  17. You're done! Enjoy!
Be sure to check out my instagram for all my recipes first! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lemon Chia Collagen Overnight Oats

I love all things lemon flavored but hate water with a lemon? Weird, right? Anyways, these are delicious, a perfect summer-y overnight oat r...